Tuesday, January 04, 2011

On the New Year


"Reality runs up your spine, and the pieces finally fit."

Those words woke me up some months ago, and I've been trying to figure out what it means. The words are actually from an Elton John song called "The One" that I've always loved listening to. So it's in my soul somewhere. I hadn't listened to it for a long time because I had lost the CD that it was on. It's probably buried in a stack of Jason's music somewhere.

Challenges in the workplace...Jason's engagement to Ashley...end stage arthritis of both knees...gallery representation in Chicago...full time messes in the studio (too many projects started, never finished), going back to teaching art classes for Rock Valley College...learning how to crochet and having it take over my creative life (why? because it's easy, color filled and I can sit on my butt and watch "Mad Men" on demand)...frustrations over enabling others with volunteer projects and doing the work myself just so it gets done and makes for a satisfying outcome (why? because I was always taught to be nice to others, even if it's makes you miserable)...I haven't quilted anything in many months (a year maybe).

One thing I am sure about is that I need to develop and define my artwork and be disciplined with the business of marketing myself at a more professional level. I have the perfect photographer, but need to get it all arranged. I need to get away from checking e-mail and Facebook 3 or 4 times a day when it's mostly junk. I am such a night owl and would be perfectly happy creating all night, and sleeping till noon every day, but the rest of the world doesn't work that way.

I could've written this in my journal, but wanted to post it here on my blog in the hopes of being more committed to it. What comes along with this is reading others' blogs that I haven't checked in a long time.

The photo is of my quilt "Together" - it was my very first piece that was published - The Houston Quilt Festival catalog in 2003.

1 comment:

Karoda said...

Julaine, I'm living this post! :) Insomnia has been a part of my life since I was in my 20s and have always found late nights early mornings hold the best energies for contemplation as well as art making. Have always felt the imposition of what passes for social norm.

Now that its cold and I don't tolerate it well and my studios are outside where I live, I had to figure out how to do something before I went off the deep end. Visual journaling and teaching myself Photoshop Elements has been my saving graces.
Hangeth in there!