Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Starting with a Rubber Stamp

"But these thy fortunes let us straight repose in this divine cave's bosom."
Chapman

It all started with a rubber stamp - Woman in Repose - she is still available at the Jo-Ann Stores...

Last year for Rockford's Spring Artscene, our Art@Emmanuel's exhibit was entitled "People of the Book" - characters that have inspired us, challenged us, sacred or secular.
I had been working on some pieces that all started with the melting of ink from National Geographic Magazines using Citra-Solv, and I knew that I wanted to create a book of pages, in which the pages would be loose and could be framed if wanted. Since the book would end up being about 3 inches deep, I needed a way to connect the front and back covers, so I attached them with pieces from an old leather belt of Jeff's.

The process (I wished now I had photographed to share with you) was very satisfying. At least I can tell you the steps:  
*each page started with heavy cardstock wrapped with cheesecloth
*color was added with water soluble artists' crayons (caran d' ache)
*the altered Nat Geo pages were adhered on top of the cheesecloth
*the images were stamped onto different papers and color added with alcohol inks, then glued onto the pages (pvc glue, double sided tape)
*more color added, if needed, with markers, the crayons, inks
*sealed with a glossy gel medium (golden)

There are 10 pages all together...here are 3 of my favorites...

I used a commercial batik for the covers and hand-quilted the front with perle cotton, adding a few french knots.  I love hand-stitching along the lines on batiks.  The stamped image on the cover is in front of a painted piece of interfacing using one of my hand carved stamps.


Today, with the impending blizzard, this "Woman in Repose" is all I need for today's studio work. This is after, of course, planning a little outing for needed supplies - food, prescriptions, maybe some extra batteries for the flashlights...it might be 2-3 inches of snow per hour tonight.  Jeff just called and said the church is closed until Thursday. Maybe I'll pick up a movie or two and some popcorn.

No comments: