Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Mr. Fedex Man, bring me some color!

And I only had to wait 2 days...I ordered these from Dick Blick, and when I saw the order total, it had sales tax on it (home state) - which means I would have those pastels in my hands soon...

I met Judy Coates Perez of Painted Threads at the last PAQA meeting, and she told me that she works with these, and had used them on her famous "There's a place called Mars..." quilt that I saw at IQF Houston in 2004.

Experiment/play time began. There is no wax in them, but lots of pigment! They feel like soft chalk, but actually go on quite smoothly. Blending is nice. Non-toxic. They are heat fixable on fabric with a dry iron-I followed the directions to use parchment paper on top, and unlike other pastels that I've used, there is virtually no loss of color.

I guess you could say that I have a thing (obsession) for pastels and have purchased many different types and brands, always searching for the right ones - are these it? Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jamie Fingal said...

I hope you post more projects that you use these pastels for. I love the vibrant colors. It is so fun to try new mediums with art quilting.

PaMdora said...

How do you like these? I've been thinking about getting some kind of oil sticks or pastels. Are this oil?