Saturday, July 16, 2005

Leaf Study 8"x10"

This is one of the quilts in my "Leaf Study" series. Starting with my hand dyed cotton sateen, I rubbed Shiva Iridescent Paintsticks on top of the cloth, with my own leaf stamps underneath. This is such a wonderful process, almost magical. I place the stamp where I want it under the fabric, put a few pins to hold it in place, and then.....RUB AWAY ! The image is suddenly there - but then I have to be patient (tough one for me) and wait for the paint to dry in 24 - 48 hours ---

Who knew that when we did rubbings in elementary school, it would end up being a very cool way to add surface texture to FABRIC !

As I'm writing this, I realize that blogging can be like journaling - you know - that hammer on the head experience we all have - I'm thinking about all the times that I have included leaves in my work. I have lots of leaf beads, 5 rubber stamps that I have cut with leaves on them, and I love stitching individual leaves on my quilts. Guess who's the last family on our block to rake in the fall?

Time to explore this a little deeper, to find out why I'm so drawn to them.....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this is lovely....glowing..and your description of the process glows as well.....what a joy to be able to create ...Ginger

Elle said...

I really like this piece, particularly the sinuous stitches.

Welcome to the AQ ring!

Cay Denise said...

I love what you did with the Shiva Paintstiks...such a neat idea. It even added dimension to the piece. What kind of thread did you use in the quilting? It looks thicker than typical thread.

arlee said...

I too am drawn to leaves--or to drawing leaves :D in my textile work--and i can't define why either...

This piece just shines--very beautiful!