Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Number 9 and 10

I've done it! A little scary, yes...resigned from one of my positions out there in the real world so I can focus more on the business end of creating my art.

I'm working on the 9th and 10th pieces in my "hands" series. I wish I had a title for this collection, but unfortunately, it just hasn't come yet.  As I post more images and the adventures connected with these, if you have any ideas, please post a comment!

The ninth one is in honor of my dear friend, Bobbie, and will have the image of her hands on it.  It started out as an olive green batik to which I discharged some areas with a floral stamp.  I then did a paint wash with emerald green Setacolor and highlighted some of the "wisps" with a mixture of emerald green and turquoise Setacolor.  There's a little stitchery shop in Rockford that I go to for specialty threads, loving the Caron "Watercolors" 3-ply floss. In the photos below, you can see the dark gold/olive/bluish purple floss that I chose...





The tenth one is a little different - this was actually a fat quarter with a design that reminded me of a large apartment building in a downtown area.  I saw windows, and I saw "dark."  I had this black leather-like trim with grommets in my stash for awhile, but just didn't know what to do with it.  I knew it needed RED stitching!  It's reading "HOT" now - bustling activity (not all of it good, maybe?)...





Getting back to my headline, yes I have resigned my position at Emmanuel, to be effective after Easter.  I know it's not a great time to leave a position, but I'm ready.  The church is ready, I believe.  Now it begins, devoting more efficeint time on the computer. Getting my butt out of bed earlier in the mornings when I'm not at the store.  Photographing my work - I did finally get a new camera, so now I have to learn what it can do.  Going for a couple more art fairs, which I love doing.  Teaching, teaching, teaching. My studio is trashed, too, and desperately needs a major purge.

2 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Wow, this is a big change for you! I also love the black and white city piece -- that's a change, too. Keep us posted.

JoAnn Deck said...

Julaine, I really like this one. I confess I am drawn more to architectural design then organic, but this is great.