Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Trinity Banner update
I've stitched down the crescent moon shapes, hand, and dove of the banner now, using just a straight stitch. This worked out so well, appliqueing the elements separately before stitching onto the background. It's really adding some wonderful dimension to the piece...and the anxiety level was diminished because I didn't have to satin stitch through all the layers.
I will need to stitch 2 more crosses though - when placing the banner up on the design wall, I realized that 9 was not going to be enough.
So often on work this size (30x45) or larger (read: not always in my comfort zone), I tend to freak just a little. I also get visits from the intuitive muse, where the outcome is usually so much better than my original design. Maybe it's because of the time I allow for these pieces. Maybe it's coming from a deeper spiritual place inside of me. I'm not at the point of gathering beads and other possible embellishments yet, but today I felt that bubble of glee rise up too.
I am bringing it in next Tuesday for a preview with Phyllis from church, who is head of the Altar Guild and commissioned it. It will be in memory of three women who were members of that committee. Nice...