Thursday, April 14, 2011

What You Can Do With Hand Dyed Wool Roving

Too much for a blog post title? Well, this is about last night's nuno felted scarf class I taught at Emmanuel...

Ten wild women gathered in the Library to create their scarves.  It was so much fun seeing the ladies play with the fibers, get them wet, roll them over and over again, then we went outside to "throw" them - if you're familiar with nuno felting, one of the final things that you must do is to fully felt the wool roving into the silk and the way I do it is to literally throw them.  It's interesting to see who's a little reserved and who lets go - I can honestly say that all 10 of them were really getting into it!

My new camera can create 10 minute movies, so I decided to tape the gals, and now they're on YouTube! We had to go outside so any splashing of water wouldn't get on anything inside.  It was starting to get dark, but we did it anyway...YouTube - Nuno Felting Frenzy

Here they are with their creations...



Here's a shot of the merino roving that I had dyed earlier this week for the class.  Since our favorite yarn shop has closed in Rockford, I ordered the "superfine 80 merino" from Dharma Trading, and am very happy with it. I had NO problems with it during the process, and when it was dry, I didn't have to card it at all - hardly any tangles, and it felted fast on the silk scarves.
 A few of the ladies would like to take the class again, so that's good!  We just need a few more, and we'll schedule it for a Wednesday night coming up in a month or so.  If you're interested, let me know...

1 comment:

Sherrie Spangler said...

What a riot! I loved hearing your voice from across the country.