Thursday, April 07, 2011

Transfer Artists' Paper on Leather?

I've been going in different directions with the printing of the hands for my series.  Leather it is, and other musings from the week...

I had tried Lesley Riley's TAP before, but maybe was a little impatient with the process, so my images were not good.  I decided to order another pack and give it another try for my series.  This time, I got it to work on leather!

Number 11 is now finished (all the stitching, that is). I am very happy with how it turned out, especially since it didn't involve creating movement in the stitching, and those straight lines, I thought, were boring. A friend's hands, Jonathan, will be on this one...






Number 12 will be started this week, so I wanted to show you what I've chosen for this one - an elder's hands that I found on a public domain site.  Aren't those threads perfect? Again, those are from the Caron Watercolors line of hand-painted 3-ply threads.




I'm not sure why I always feel like I need to start from scratch with some processes.  For this series, I'm attempting to create 12x12 canvases to mount my pieces on. It may be because I can't walk into a local store (you know, the big box ones) and pick up ready to go 12x12 canvases at a lower price, and with the fabric that I want in the color I'm looking for.  So...I may end up realizing that this is too much work for the same amount of money, yeah. I'm still going to try it on at least one because there is the matter of a deadline for next Monday - I'm exhibiting at Emmanuel for Rockford's Spring Artscene - "All My Relations ~ A Peaceable Kingdom." I'm finishing one of my series' pieces for the exhibit as a sort of a 'taste of things to come' - a solo exhibit in the not so distant future, I hope!
Stretcher strips together...


Gesso'd muslin as a base to be stapled on the strips...

A beautiful natural "hopsack" weave linen that will be on top of the muslin.  Plans are to brush on some clear gesso...
A busy week it has been and you will be glad to know I am working diligently on the business of getting my work out there! I've been intrigued by the TAFA: The Textile and Fiber Art List, following it on Facebook. It looks like a wonderful opportunity for us textile types! In one of my other lives, I have met with the women at church regarding my resignation from my childrens' ministry position and am feeling so much better about that.  Jason is back home (well, sort of), working his two jobs, going to Rock Valley College - he doesn't have a car yet, but the three of us are working that out.  As usual, I've avoided doing our taxes and would normally wait until the last minute, but I had promised Jason to have them finished this weekend - for his student loan apps, he needs that info.  I'm still such a good mommy...

Question: does anyone know how to add a blog widget from Etsy?

2 comments:

Karoda said...

Digging the transfer with leather! Not so long ago, someone sent me their leather scraps...when I get around to that project I hope to remember this.

Why are you making your own frames? 12X12s are a common size ready made.

Julaine said...

I guess part of me wants to save a little $$$, the other side of me doesn't want to paint the canvases - I haven't liked what I've done when painting them before. Plus...I have to confess I want something different!

Thanks, Karen!