Sunday, July 10, 2005

The Workshop was great!

"Art's a staple, like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Man's spirit grows hungry for art in the same way his stomache growls for food." Irving Stone

This quote is on a rubber stamp that I found at the International Quilt Festival in Houston last November - I thought of it after teaching my workshop at the Rockford (IL) Art Museum this past Saturday. The workshop was incredible - everyone came well prepared, and these five very creative souls made their very first art quilt. They were not afraid of that 11x14" quilt sandwich with a WHITE top! It was their blank canvas, and they started fusing, preparing an image transfer, drawing with colored pencils, stamping,stitching with embroidery floss, attaching beads and special found objects from home. Time to celebrate, ladies.....

1 comment:

jenclair said...

I'm stealing another quote from you. Stone wrote biography and historical novels, some were made into movies, and I had not thought of him in years. I wonder if this wonderful quote came from his work about Van Gogh or Michaelangelo...